“Nothing is so silly as the expression of a man who is being complimented.” — André Gide
“The eyes have one language everywhere.” — George Herbert
- Kurt Vonnegut managed the country’s first Saab dealership.
- Max Born is Olivia Newton-John’s grandfather.
- 19683 = 1 × (9 – 6)8 × 3
- Before the advent of European settlers, it’s believed that no Native American had blood type B.
- “Good taste is the worst vice ever invented.” — Edith Sitwell
The first recorded performance of Hamlet took place at sea, aboard the East India ship Red Dragon off the coast of Africa in 1607. Capt. William Keeling’s diary entry for Sept. 5 reads: “I sent the interpreter according to his desier abord the Hector whear he brooke fast and after came abord me wher we gave the tragedie of Hamlett.”
“I wouldn’t say when you’ve seen one western you’ve seen the lot, but when you’ve seen the lot you get the feeling you’ve seen one.” — Katharine Whitehorn
- Scranton, Pa., was formerly called Skunk’s Misery.
- Sweet’n Low was named for a Tennyson poem.
- STRAIGHT-GRAINED has 15 letters and 2 syllables.
- The average 2-year-old is already half his adult height.
- “The exit is usually where the entrance was.” — Stanislaw Lec
If a reincarnated person has no memory of her past life, then in what sense is she the same person?
- There’s no “u” in solipsism.
- Wagner said the saxophone “sounds like the word Reckankreuzungsklankewerkzeuge.”
- FDR was related by blood or marriage to 11 other presidents.
- 3909511 = 53 + 59 + 50 + 59 + 55 + 51 + 51
- “If you can’t stand the heat, stay out of the chicken.” — Ted Giannoulas, San Diego Chicken
“Civilization is a stream with banks. The stream is sometimes filled with blood from people killing, stealing, shouting and doing the things historians usually record, while on the banks, unnoticed, people build homes, make love, raise children, sing songs, write poetry and even whittle statues. The story of civilization is the story of what happened on the banks. Historians are pessimists because they ignore the banks for the river.” — Will Durant, Life, Oct. 18, 1963
“The central function of imaginative literature is to make you realize that other people act on moral convictions different from your own.” — William Empson
“The difference between a conviction and a prejudice is that you can explain a conviction without getting angry.” — Anonymous
“Science is what you know, philosophy is what you don’t know.” — Bertrand Russell