“Absolutely speaking, Do unto others as you would that they should do unto you is by no means a golden rule, but the best of current silver. An honest man would have but little occasion for it.” — Thoreau
“From the earliest times the old have rubbed it into the young that they are wiser than they, and before the young had discovered what nonsense this was they were old too, and it profited them to carry on the imposture.” — Somerset Maugham, Cakes and Ale, 1930
- The sum of the numbers on a roulette wheel is 666.
- ANTITRINITARIANIST contains all 24 arrangements of the letters I, N, R, and T.
- The Empire State Building has its own zip code.
- 63945 = 63 × (-9 + 45)
- “Isn’t it strange that we talk least about the things we think about most!” — Charles Lindbergh
“Plain women know more about men than beautiful ones do.” — Katharine Hepburn
- Can God sin?
- The Thinker’s right elbow is on his left knee.
- 48625 = 45 + 82 + 66 + 28 + 54
- MARASCHINO is an anagram of HARMONICAS.
- “Genius is nothing but continued attention.” — Helvetius
- 34425 = 34 × 425
- A running joke is a standing joke.
- RESTAURATEURS balances two identical sets of letters on either side of the central R.
- Does an artwork have value if no one sees it?
- “Marriage is a covered dish.” — Swiss proverb
“No one becomes a laughingstock who laughs at himself.” — Seneca
“It is impossible for a man to begin to learn that which he thinks that he knows.” — Epictetus
“No person was ever honored for what he received. Honor has been the reward for what he gave.” — Calvin Coolidge
- What time is it on the sun?
- PATERNAL, PARENTAL, and PRENATAL are anagrams.
- If forecastle is pronounced “fo’c’sle,” should forecast be pronounced “folks”?
- A clock’s second hand is its third hand.
- “The religion of one seems madness unto another.” — Thomas Browne
Bonus poser: In what sport does only the winning team travel backward?