Origins of car company names:
- Cadillac: Named after the founder of Detroit, French explorer Antoine Laumet de La Mothe, sieur de Cadillac. Cadillac is a small town in the South of France.
- Daewoo: “Great Universe” in Korean.
- Mercedes: The first name of the daughter of Emil Jellinek, who worked for the early Daimler company around 1900.
- Mitsubishi: “Water chestnut,” reflected as a stylized rhombus in the company’s logo.
- Pontiac: A Native American Ottawa war leader.
- Subaru: From the Japanese name for the Pleiades (Subaru was formed from a merger of seven other companies).
- Volkswagen: The “people’s car.”
- Volvo: Latin for “I roll.”