- Give neither counsel nor salt till you are asked for it.
- A hedge between keeps friendship green.
- A fault confessed is half redressed.
- A hungry man is an angry man.
- Please your eye and plague your heart.
- If you run after two hares you will catch neither.
- A good lawyer makes a bad neighbor.
- Speak fair and think what you will.
- It is not the suffering but the cause which makes a martyr.
- A fool will laugh when he is drowning.
- A foe is better than a dissembling friend.
- A disease known is half cured.
- Let your purse be your master.
- Short counsel is good counsel.
And “Whosoever draws his sword against the prince must throw the scabbard away.”