“Can’t sing. Can’t act. Slightly balding. Can dance a little.” — Paramount Pictures screen test report on Fred Astaire
- albuminurophobia: fear of kidney disease
- alliumphobia: fear of garlic
- allodoxaphobia: fear of opinions
- ancraophobia: fear of wind
- anuptaphobia: fear of staying single
- arachibutyrophobia: fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of the mouth
- atomosophobia: fear of atomic explosions
- aulophobia: fear of flutes
- aurophobia: fear of gold
- barophobia: fear of gravity
- caligynephobia: fear of beautiful women
- cherophobia: fear of gaiety
- deipnophobia: fear of dining or dinner conversations
- euphobia: fear of hearing good news
- geniophobia: fear of chins
- genuphobia: fear of knees
- hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia: fear of long words
- linonophobia: fear of string
- lutraphobia: fear of otters
- mottephobia: fear of moths
- porphyrophobia: fear of the color purple
- pteronophobia: fear of being tickled by feathers
- scriptophobia: fear of writing in public
- spheksophobia: fear of wasps
- zemmiphobia: fear of the great mole rat
Politicophobia is defined as “abnormal” dislike of politicians.
Women’s pay as a percentage of men’s:
- 1951: 63.9%
- 1960: 60.7%
- 1970: 59.4%
- 1980: 60.2%
- 1990: 71.6%
- 2000: 73.3%
In sales jobs, women still earn only 59.9% of men’s wages.
If you’re visiting Rhode Island, you might be excused for wanting to visit Jerimoth Hill: It’s the highest point in the state.
Unfortunately, you’d be taking your life in your hands. Jerimoth is private property, and it’s owned by a singularly cranky 77-year-old named Henry Richardson, who monitors the trail with motion sensors. Here’s how he’s greeted other visitors:
- Assaulted them verbally (“Shoot all the damn highpointers!” “Get the hell off my property!”)
- Threatened to break cameras
- Started fistfights
- Let the air out of their car tires
- Shot them with rock salt
- Chased them through three states by car
Under pressure, Richardson’s son agreed in 1998 to let hikers visit the highpoint on national holidays. Before that, the 812-foot rise “was considered less accessable than Mt. McKinley.”
The night was growing old
As she trudged through snow and sleet;
And her nose was long and cold,
And her shoes were full of feet.
U.S. state dinosaurs:
- District of Columbia: Capitalsaurus
- Maryland: Astrodon johnstoni
- New Jersey: Hadrosaurus foulkii
- Texas: Pleurocoelus
- Wyoming: Triceratops
Dangerous tongue twisters:
I am not the pheasant plucker,
I’m the pheasant plucker’s mate.
I am only plucking pheasants
Because the pheasant plucker’s late.
I slit the sheet, the sheet I slit;
and on the slitted sheet I sit.
I’m not the fig plucker,
Nor the fig pluckers’ son,
But I’ll pluck figs
Till the fig plucker comes.
- DEBIT CARD = BAD CREDIT
- MOTHER-IN-LAW = WOMAN HITLER
- SLOT MACHINES = CASH LOST IN ‘EM
- DESPERATION = A ROPE ENDS IT
- ASTRONOMER = MOON STARER
- ELECTION RESULTS = LIES — LET’S RECOUNT
And SNOOZE ALARMS = ALAS! NO MORE Z’S.