“Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise.” — Lewis Carroll
“Madam, it is the hardest thing in the world to be in love, and yet attend to business. A gentleman asked me this morning, ‘What news from Lisbon?’ and I answered, ‘She is exquisitely handsome.'” — Richard Steele
“I have lived some thirty years on this planet, and I have yet to hear the first syllable of valuable or even earnest advice from my seniors.” — Thoreau
“It is equally pointless to weep because we won’t be alive a hundred years from now as that we were not here a hundred years ago.” — Montaigne
“People are usually more firmly convinced that their opinions are precious than that they are true.” — George Santayana
“All this buttoning and unbuttoning.”
— Anonymous 18th-century suicide note, cited in The Oxford Dictionary Of Quotations
“A kitten is so flexible that she is almost double. The hind parts are equivalent to another kitten with which the fore part plays. She does not discover that her tail belongs to her till you tread upon it.” — Thoreau
“In quarrelling the truth is always lost.” — Publilius Syrus
“People born to be hanged are safe in water.” — Mark Twain’s mother
“My books are water; those of the great geniuses are wine. Everybody drinks water.” — Mark Twain
“I know of no rule which holds so true as that we are always paid for our suspicion by finding what we suspect.” — Thoreau
- The telephone number 266-8687 spells both AMOUNTS and CONTOUR.
- 38856 = (38 – 85) × 6
- CARTHORSE is an anagram of ORCHESTRA.
- The French for paper clip is trombone.
- “The oldest books are only just out to those who have not read them.” — Samuel Butler
“We can scarcely hate any one that we know.” — William Hazlitt
- Tarzan’s yell is an aural palindrome.
- CONTAMINATED is an anagram of NO ADMITTANCE.
- The Swiss Family Robinson have no surname (“Robinson” refers to Robinson Crusoe).
- x2 – 2999x + 2248541 produces 80 primes from x = 1460 to 1539.
- “A great fortune is a great slavery.” — Seneca
“It is a curious thing that people only ask if you are enjoying yourself when you aren’t.” — Edith Nesbit
William Buckland awoke one night and told his wife, “My dear, I believe that Cheirotherium‘s footsteps are undoubtedly testudinal.” They induced a garden tortoise to walk through a paste of flour, and the impression it left matched the fossil footprint.
On summiting the Finsteraarhorn in 1845, M. Dollfus-Ausset cried, “The soul communes in the infinite with those icy peaks which seem to have their roots in the bowels of eternity!”
In 1919 Cecilia Payne bicycled to the Cambridge Solar Physics Observatory, found a man repairing the roof, and said, “I have come to ask why the Stark effect is not observed in stellar spectra.” He was E.A. Milne, and he didn’t know. “Later he became a good friend and a great inspiration to me.”
“I had rather excel others in the knowledge of what is excellent than in the extent of my power and dominion.” — Alexander
“It is a curious thought, but it is only when you see people looking ridiculous that you realize just how much you love them.” — Agatha Christie
“Almost all really new ideas have a certain aspect of foolishness when they are first produced.” — Alfred North Whitehead
“The obscure we see eventually. The completely obvious, it seems, takes longer.” — Edward R. Murrow
“To see what is in front of one’s nose requires a constant struggle.” — George Orwell
“How hard I find it to see what is right in front of my eyes!” — Wittgenstein
- ALONE and UPRAISE can be beheaded twice and retain their essential meanings.
- Evelyn Waugh’s first wife was named Evelyn.
- 1033 = 81 + 80 + 83 + 83
- Can a shadow rotate?
- “Genius is nothing but a greater aptitude for patience.” — Benjamin Franklin
“Snow is a faked cleanliness.” — Goethe
- SWEET-TOOTHED has three consecutive pairs of letters. SUBBOOKKEEPER has four.
- Will you answer this question negatively?
- 4624 = 44 + 46 + 42 + 44
- The telephone number 278-7433 spells both ASTRIDE and CRUSHED.
- “Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.” — Emerson
“The greatest pleasure I know is to do a good action by stealth and have it found out by accident.” — Charles Lamb
“The work an unknown good man has done is like a vein of water flowing hidden underground, secretly making the ground green.” — Thomas Carlyle
“Do good by stealth, and blush to find it fame.” — Alexander Pope