- In 1898 Sam Clemens signed a hotel register “S.L. Clemens. Profession: Mark Twain.”
- Jonathan Swift invented the name Vanessa.
- How many outs are in an inning of baseball? Six.
- Isaac Asimov’s collected papers fill 71 meters of shelf space at Boston University.
- “He is greatest who is most often in men’s good thoughts.” — Samuel Butler
After starring as the title character, Anne Shirley, in the 1934 film Anne of Green Gables, actress Dawn O’Day changed her stage name to Anne Shirley and used it for the rest of her career.